The Forest Lodge Library was founded in 1925 by Mary Livingston Griggs in memory of her mother, Mary Steele Livingston. Mrs. Griggs envisioned a Community House in downtown Cable, a place that would combine the functions of library, community meeting center and public rest room. The building was constructed of logs cut and milled off the Griggs property on nearby Lake Namakagon.
Later named the Forest Lodge Library, the building is now the oldest log cabin library in the state of Wisconsin. The building was named to the National and State Register of Historic Places in the year 2000.
When the Cable Natural History Museum was established in 1968, the library and the museum merged and operated under a single board funded by the Griggs Burke Foundation. In 1992, the library established its own Board of Trustees and became a fully functioning public library.
In January of 2007, the community of Namakagon joined the Town of Cable in supporting this library.
Forest Lodge Library … where the future resides in the past.